Who We Are

Who We Are

On February 13, 1956, the Cumberland Boys Club was founded and incorporated by a group of dedicated citizens. With the support of the town, business, industry, civic and fraternal organizations, the Club's first facility, American Legion #14 was opened. With a minimal budget and a staff of volunteer help, the effort was a success and the club grew rapidly and brought to light the need for a larger facility. The dedicated founders were committed to a philosophy of "Sincerity- Dedications-Cooperation". Working together, they took their dream and made steps to turn it into a reality. 

In 1959, the Town of Cumberland donated a two-acre plot that is now the current site of the facility, and in 1960, a capitol fund-raising campaign was undertaken in the Towns of both Cumberland and Lincoln, for the construction of a new clubhouse.On May 28, 1961 the new building was dedicated. 

The Club's name changed in 1960 to the Cumberland-Lincoln Boys Club, and the Club became a member of the United Fund in 1962. A new pool and addition were dedicated and ready for use in July, 1970. In 1974 the Hysen Chelo Memorial Field was constructed. In 1982 a capitol campaign allowed for major additions of indoor program areas. In March 1996, ground was broken for the Berkeley Village Recreational Facility with outdoor court activities. 

The Cumberland-Lincoln Boys Club was founded to promote the health, social, educational, vocational, and character development of boys. With changing times and attitudes and the needs of our communities, the Cumberland-Lincoln Boys & Girls Club now provides a well-rounded foundation for community activity, for boys, girls, men, women, and community groups. With these concepts in mind, we will continue to provide a facility, programs, and services that are integral to our communities. 

Share by: